Baker A History of Northamptonshire
George Baker (1781-1851), topographer and historian, was a native of Northampton, England.
While a schoolboy, at the age of 13, he wrote a manuscript history of Northampton, and from that time he was always engaged in enlarging his collections. His proposals for The History and Antiquities of the County of Northampton were issued in 1815. The first part was published in folio in 1822, the second in 1826, and the third, completing the first volume, in 1830. George Baker himself records his findings as at an editing in 1831, and his genealogy charts for Cosgrave record those living in 1834.
Is written in domesday and in early records “Covesgrave” but melted down in modern times to Cosgrave. The terminating syllable grave in the Saxon signifies a wood but its connections with the initiatory one does not admit of a satisfactory solution. This parish, prior to the inclosure, was inconveniently and inexplicably intermingled with Potterspury. Part of Cosgrave village green with two houses were in the latter parish, and part of Brownswood Green adjoining the village of Potterspury was in Cosgrave parish, and another isolated portion of this parish, called Kenson Field, was inclosed under the same act of parliament as Potterspury and Yardley Gobion in 15 Geo 3 (1775).
The open fields of Cosgrave, “consisting of three distinct Tythings, called Cosgrave Tything, Furtho Tything, and Potterspury Tything,” computed at “1700 hundred acres or thereabouts,” but on actual survey only 1626 acres were inclosed by act of parliament in 7 Geo 3 (1767), when the part of Cosgrave green, reputed to be in Potterspury was, from and after the passing of the act, transferred to the manor and parish of Cosgrave, and the part of Brownswood green reputed to be in Cosgrave, was transferred to the manor and parish of Potterspury. The lordship of Cosgrave contains altogether about 1760 acres, of which about 1100 acres belong to John Christopher Mansel esq., lord of the manor; about 235 acres to the rector, in right of his church, about 220 acres to George Henry, Duke of Grafton, and nearly 100 acres to the rector of Furtho. Potterspury and Yardley Gobion bound it on the north; the River Tove divide it from Hanslope and Castlethorpe in Buckinghamshire on the east; the River Ouse separates it from Wolverton in the same County on the south-east and from Stony Stratford in the same County on the south; Old Stratford adjoins it on the south-west and Passenham on the north-west. The soil is various, principally clay and loam, and there is some rich meadow land bordering on the rivers. About two thirds of the lordship is arable.
The water mill is on the River Tove, which unites with the Ouse nearly opposite to Major Mansel’s house. Near the village green is a chalybeate spring, formerly called St Vincent’s, and now corrupted into Finches Well, which was reserved to the use of the inhabitants under the inclosure act.
The Grand Junction Canal intersects both the lordship and the village; and is carried over the River Ouse and across the long valley into Wolverton, a distance of nearly a mile, by a stupendous embankment. This aqueduct was originally constructed on arches, and was first opened on 26th August 1805. The contractors guaranteed a trial of twelve months; but, before the expiration of half that period, leakages and other indications of instability became apparent, and at length a sudden disruption took place, and inundated the surrounding country. The breach was, however, promptly repaired, and in ths course of another year a solid embankment was substituted, along which a cast iron channel much narrower than the general width of the navigation was supplied, and is still in use for the transit of the barges.
Manorial History. Winemar Fee or Barony of Hanslope. Alden, already noticed as the Saxon lord of Ashton, had also the principal estate in “Covesgrave” rated at 10s yearly. This, as well as Ashton, was given by the Norman conqueror to Winemar, who held it in demesne. It was then doubled in value, and contained half a hide and the fifth part of a virgate. The arable land was one carucate and a half, of which one was in demesne with three bordars. There was a mill worth 13s yearly; five acres of meadow; and a wood three furlongs in length and two in breadth.
Alden or Aldene and probably the same individual who in other entries is written Halden and Haldenus must have been no inconsiderable personage, as he had possessions in the counties of Northampton, Leicester, Nottingham, Derby, Chester, York, Lincoln, Suffolk, Hertford, Buckingham and Berks. Whether the whole was the property of one person, or of contemporaries of the same name, may indeed be doubted, but the lord of Cosgrave may safely be identified with Aldene, who under Hanslope in Buckinghamshire is styles huscaal of king Edward the confessor, a term whih is supposed to indicate a domestic servant and sometimes a military retainer; and under Chearsley in the same county as a feudatory of king Harold, or earl Harold as he is designated, his title to the throne not being there recognised.
Winemar, beside his portion of Cosgrave, had the whole, or parts of Easton Mauduit, Hanington, Ashton, and Easton Neston; and was also mesne lord of Preston Deanry and Hackleton under the bishop of Constance, of Wotton under Walter Flandrensis, of Rothersthorp under Geoffrey Anselyn, of Knuston under Gunfried de Cinches or Chokes, and of Boscate, Doddington, Brayfield, Houghton, Preston Deanry and Quinton, under the countess Judith. So ignorant were the Norman scribes of the names of the tenants in chief, or so careless of preserving their identity, the Winemar occurs under four different designations: in most of the Northamptonshire entries he has that appellation only, but as claimant of Piddington and Wollaston, against the countess Judith, he appears with the addition of de Anslepe and de Hanslepe, and it is still more singular that under Hanslope he is not described by that local addition, but as Winemar Flandr [Flandrensis], thugh every circumstance combines in proof that the same individual is intended. The site selected for his castle in Hanslope, now called Castlethorp, is bordering on Cosgrave parish, which accounts for his retaining Cosgrave in his demesne. Michael de Hanslope surrendered his inheritance, and Maud his daughter to the disposal of King Henry I, who bestowed them both on William Mauduit his chamberlain; and Henry duke of Normandy, afterwards king Henry II, confirmed to the succeeding William Mauduit the office of chamberlain, and the castle and honor of the castle of Porchester in Hampshire, with all the lands of Michael de Hanslope in as ample a manner as given to his father. This William in 14 Hen II (1167) certified his barony to consist of four fees and a half of the old and new feoffment. William, the last heir male of the elder line of Mauduit, succeeded to the earldom of Warwick on the decease of John de Plessitis, second husband of Margaret Newburgh, Dying without issue in 52 Hen III (1267) Isabel, his sister and heiress, carried the earldom to the Beauchamps; and not only the paramount but the beneficiary interest in Cosgrave, it will be subsequently shewn, became vested in that noble family.
MORETON FEE. HONOR OF LEICESTER. HONOR OF BERKHAMSTEAD. Two other and smaller portions of “Covesgrave” were of the Moreton fee. One was the Saxon freehold of Godwin, valued at 5s yearly, but reduced to 4s yearly at the domesday survey, when it was held in demesne by the earl of Moreton. It contained four parts of half a hide. There was one carucate in the occupation of three villeins.
The other was the Saxon freehold of Aelric. It was then, and at the survey, rated at 20s yearly, and was held by Humphrey under the earl of Moreton. It contained five parts of a hide, and was under the soke of Passenham. The arable land was a carucate and a half occupied by four bordars. There were ten acres of meadow, and two quarantines or furlongs of underwood.
MANOR. In the hydarium of Hen 2, Robert Ryvell, or Revell was returned to hold in Cosgrave eight small virgates, William le Brun six small virgates, and one Adam nine small virgates, but of what fees is not recorded. In 3 Ric (1191) Robert Revell owed £100 for seisin of his lands in Covesgrave, Puxley and other places in the county. In the Testa de Nevill about 19 Hen 3 (1235) Roger Revell accounted for a small fee in “Covesgrave”, Tiffield, Puxley and Buckby, parcel of the five fees which Richard de Keynes held of the small fees of Moreton, and this fee is again found amongst the five fees held by sir Thomas Leukenore the representative of Keynes of the late Edmund earl of Lancaster and Leicester in 25 Edw 1 (1297). Under Leukenor, this land in Cosgrave, containing twenty-one virgates, was in the tenure of John de Cumlenton and in 25 Edw 1 (1297) his daughter Joan, widow of John de Mershe, junior, quitclaimed and released them to Henry Spigurnel and Sarah his wife. Half a fee of the three fees of the small fees of Moreton and the honor of Aquila, for which sir William de Montacute rendered scutage about 19 Hen 3 (1235) was in “Covesgrave”, but on the death of Edward earl of Cornwall in 28 Edw 1 (1300) it occurs amongst the fees of the honor of Berkhamstead.
In 9 Edw 2 (1315) Henry Spigurnel was certified to be lord of Cosgrave, and in 11 Edw 2 (1317) Sarah, daughter of Adam Aylmer, released to sir Henry Spigurnel, lord of Covesgrave, and his Sarah his wife, all the lands which had belonged to Stephen her brother there, and at Furtho. He died in 2 Edw 3 (1328), and the inquisition exhibits a curious specimen of the complicated and ramified tenures into which many parishes were spilt at that period. The site of the manor of Covesgrave, ten messuages, eight virgates of land, twelve acres of wood, and a rent charge of 21s 8d in Covesgrave and Puxley, were held of the heir of the earl of Warwick within age and in ward to the king, as of the manor of Hanslope, by service of the eighth part of a fee, 10s yearly, and suit and service every three weeks at the earl’s court at Hanslope. Twelve acres and a half, called Puxley Stokkyn was held of the king in capite. Certain lands in Covesgrave and Furtho were held of Henry de Furtho, by suit at his court of Furtho, and the hundred court of Cleley every three weeks. Six messuages and four virgates of land in Covesgrave, and fifty acres of wood in Puxley, were held of sir Thomas de Leuknore by service of the eighth part of a fee. Five messuages and six virgates of land in Cosgrave probably in Old Stratford were held of John de Blount, the lord of Passenham. Half a virgate of land in Covesgrave was held of Adam de Combemartin, lord of Stoke Bruere. Four messuages, a virgate of land and a rent charge of 20s in Covesgrave, were held of the king as of the honor of Berkhamsted. And certain lands in Cosgrave were held of the Prior of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem as of the fee of the knights Templars.
He [Henry Spigurnel] was succeeded by his son Thomas Spigurnell aged 30 years.who in 13 Edw 3 (1339) levied a fine of the manor of Covesgrave to
Henry Burghersh bishop of Lincoln. He survived but two years, when Walter de Paveley was found to be his cousin and next heir, aged twenty-five years, but in 21 Edw 3 (1347) he released his right in this manor, excepting the assart called Spigurnell’s Stokking, to
Richard le Forester of Puxley, and two successive Thomas Foresters died seised of certain lands here, but the manor appears to have been alienated to the
Beauchamps earls of Warwick, the lords of the Mauduit fee, of whom a pedigree will be introduced under Potterspury. On the imprisonment and attainder of Thomas Beauchamp, earl of Warwick in 21 Ric 2 (1397), his manor of Cosgrave, valued at £30 yearly was (int al) granted to sir Henry Green of Drayton; but on the accession of Henry IV, he was restored to his title and estates, and this manor attended the fortunes of the earldom in its alternations of forfeiture and restoration during the struggle of the rival roses, down to Anne, countess of Warwick, who in 3 Henry 7 (1487) by a special deed and fine conveyed her vast inheritance to
The King and the heirs male of his body, with remainder to herself and her heirs forever. The manor of “Cosgrave, alias Covesgrave” remained in the crown till 5 Edw 6 (1551) when it was grated (int al) to
Sir Nicholas Throgmorton of Paulerspury, whose son, sir Arthur Throgmorton settled it with the advowson, on Elizabeth, his third daughter and co-heiress, in marriage with
Richard (Lennard) lord Dacre. Francis lord Dacre, their son, sold them in May 1563 to
Gervays Andrews of London, gent. By whom the manor house and farm were sold the following month to Christopher Rigby of London esq, and the manor and advowson in August 1651 to
William lord Maynard. By various mesne conveyances the manor passed to
John Beauchamp, gent., who devised it to his son in law lieut. William Gurney in the Irish service, and Elizabeth his wife, who left two daughters and co-heiresses, Elizabeth, wife of William Brookes, gent., and Mary, wife of Littleton Westley, gent. Brookes, with Westley and his wife, conveyed the manor in 1750 to
Christopher Rigby esq., grandson of the purchaser of the manor house, and sheriff of the county in 1734. In August 1764 he sold all his estate here, comprising the manor, manor house, water mill and lands to
John Biggin of London esq. His second son, but heir by survivorship, George Biggin esq., was a gentleman of considerable literary and scientific attainments. He was one of the trustees of the Opera house, and of Drury Lane theatre; and distinguished himself as an aeronaut in 1785 by ascending in Lunardi’s balloon from Arnold’s rotunda in St George’s Fields, accompanied by Mrs Sage. A considerable portion of his time was spent on the Continent, in pursuit of information, and his strenuous exertions to render his scientific acquirements useful in the arts, and particularly agriculture and tanning, led to an intimate association of that truly noble patron of the useful arts the late duke of Bedford, During one of his long and frequent visits at Woburn abbey he made experiments on the barks of different kinds of wood, gathered in the spring of 1798, with a view to determining the proportions of the tanning principle they contained, and which, being afterwards printed in the Philosophical Transactions, have, from their novelty and utility, been copied into nearly all the chemical and philosophical works since published. Among other improvements of less note, Mr B. invented a new sort of coffee pot, which has been ever since extensively manufactured, and sold under the name of Coffee Biggin. He died almost suddenly on the 3d of November 1803, having by will, in 1791 devised his Cosgrave estate to his nephew
George Mansel, esq., youngest son of the late general Mansel, from whom it has passed, by settlement and devise, to his eldest brother John Christopher Mansel, esq., the present proprietor (1831).
The Mansels have had an interest here, though not the manor, from the time of James I. The annexed pedigree exhibits them as the representatives of the second line from Ralph Mansell, who was seated in the neighbouring county of Buckingham in the twelfth century; and a curious poetical history of a domestic tragedy in the family from a MS in possession of T P Maunsell esq., of Thorpe Malsor, the representative of the elder line, with historical illustrations, will be found in the first volume of the “Collectanea Topographica et Genealogica”, an interesting antiquarian periodical now in course of publication.
Edward Furtho, esq. died in 19 Jac (1621) seised of the manor of Furtho, and a capital messuage in Cosgrave late Lee’s, held of sir Arthur Throgmorton, and another capital messuage there parcel of the honor of Leicester and duchy of Lancaster. On the partition of his estates between his two sisters and coheiresses, Cosgrave was assigned to Nightingale, then wife of Samuel Maunsell, esq, and afterwards of Francis Longueville esq. One of the capital messuages descended to the Mansels, and the other she conveyed in her second widowhood in 1659 to her son Henry Longueville esq. whose son Henry Longueville esq. devised his estate here in 1741 to
John Mansel esq. youngest son of the Revd Christopher Mansel, then within age. He entered the army in early life, rose to the rank of a major-general, and in the duke of York’s campaign in 1794 had the command of a brigade of heavy cavalry. On the 23rd of April prince Cobourg requested the duke to make a reconnaissance in the direction of the camp of Caesar, near Cambray, where it was known the French had assembled in great force; and accordingly general Mansel’s brigade, forming part of general Otto’s detachment was ordered about a league in front of the camp. Early the next morning the 15th light dragoons, with two squadrons of Austrian hussars, charged the enemy with such force and velocity, that had they been properly supported a complete victory would have followed, but by some mistake general Mansel’s brigade did not arrive on time. The blame for this unfortunate delay must surely have rested alone with Otto as having the command, and not on general Mansel, who acted, it may be presumed, according to his instructions; but impatient of the slightest, though undeserved, imputation on his zeal or courage, the general, when the French renewed the attack on the 26th, devoted himself to death, and his troops, animated by his example, performed prodigies of valour. Being directed by general Otto to fall on the flank of the enemy, after some manoeuvres he came up with them in the village of Cawdry, charged, and completely defeated them. He then rushed at the head of his brigade against a battery of fourteen pieces of cannon, placed on an eminence behind a deep ravine into which many of the front ranks fell; he passed the ravine with a considerable body of men, and charged the cannon with inconceivable intrepidity and complete success. This event is said to have decided the day, but at the mouth of this battery, the brave and worthy general, having three horses killed under him in the course of the day, received his death wound; one grape shot entered his chin, fracturing the spine and coming out between the shoulders, and another broke his arm to splinters. Hs son and aide de camp, the present Major Mansel, anxious to save his father’s life, darted forwards, but was wounded and taken prisoner. On the 29th the general was buried in a redoubt at the head of the camp. Six generals supported the pall, and the duke of York, the Stadtholder, the hereditary prince of Orange, and all the officers of the army attended the funeral.
THE HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN OF JERUSALEM had the advowson of Cosgrave in the gift of Robert Revel, who also gave them the church of Swinford in Leicestershire. The hospital had also lands here which in 24 Edw 1 (1295) were described as six virgates held of earl Ferrars. In 3 Edw 3 (1329) the prior of the hospital, in plea to a writ of quo warranto, substantiated his claim to view of frank pledge t wice a year in Furtho of his tenants in that vill and in Cosgrave and other places; but in 8 Hen 4 (1407) the Cosgrave tenants did suit to the prior’s leet at Stony Stratford. In 17 Eliz (1576) a wood and woodland called Barnfields or Brownswood parcel of the dissolved hospital, were granted to John Dudley and John Aynscough in exchange for other lands; and sold by them to Edward Furtho esq. 1576-6 John Marshe esq. and William Marshe gent. had a grant of a meadow called Trymnel’s mead and lands called Browneswood green in Cosgrave, late parcel of the priory, which they sold to Edward Furtho esq.
Cosgrave was annexed to the honor of Grafton on its erection in 33 Hen 8 (1541), but it does not now do suit to any of its courts, and the commissioners of inclosure allotted 2r 19p of land to the duke of Grafton in lieu of 8s per annum, payable to the honor.
THE MANOR HOUSE now usually designated THE PRIORY, stand about half a mile north of the village. For several years it was the residence of Lord Lynedoch, and is now in the occupation of admiral sir Robert Moorsom.
COSGRAVE HALL, the seat of major Mansel, was the mansion of the Longuevilles, but has been much altered and improved by the present possessor. In the house are portraits of Mary Anne Biggin, wife of maj-gen Mansel, and her two brothers, by sir Joshua Reynolds; George Biggin, esq. full-length, in the costume of a salt-bearer at the Eton Montem; and the ascent of the same gentleman in the balloon from St George’s Fields.
THE VILLAGE is situated about two miles from Stony Stratford, at a short distance east of the turnpike road from Northampton, and is partially intersected by the grand junction canal. A part of the green and two houses upon it are in Potterspury parish.
In the time of Bridges there were ”about sixty houses”. By the census of 1801 it contained 90 houses and 503 inhabitants; by that of 1811, 113 houses and 511 inhabitants; by that of 1821, 106 houses and 559 inhabitants; and by that of 1831, 121 houses and 624 inhabitants. The annual quota of land tax for this parish is £236. 9s. 3d. at 4s in the £. The estimated value of real property as assessed to the property tax of 10 per cent for the year ending April 1815 amounted to £3362. The poor rates for the year ending Easter 1832 raised £376. 8s. 6d. at 6s in the £. The wake follows the feast of St Peter.
THE ADVOWSON was given to the hospital of St John of Jerusalem by Robert Revell, and in 5 Hen 3 (1220) his son Hugh Revell levied a fine of it to High de Monte, prior of the hospital, in confirmation of his father’s grant. In 5 Edw 6 (1551) it was included in the grant of the manor to sir Nicholas Throgmorton, and accompanied it to William lord Maynard, from whom it lineally descended to Charles 2nd viscount Maynard, who in 1800 sold it to John Christopher Mansel esq., the present patron.
THE RECTORY is in the deanry of Preston. It was rated in the taxations of 1254 (38 Hen 3) and of 1291 (20 Edw 1) at 10 marks (£6. 13s. 4d.) per ann; and in the ecclesiastical survey of 1535 (26 Hen 8) at £15. 1s. 8d. per ann deducting 10s 7d for synodals and procurations to the archdeacon of Northampton. The parliamentary commissioners in 1655 certified it to be a parsonage presentative worth £100 per ann in the patronage of Thomas Tyrell esq. and that Mr John Whalley the incumbent received the profits and supplied the cure. The commissioners for inclosing Cosgrave allotted 202a. 0r. 32p. of land in lieu of the glebe lands, and of all the tithes of Cosgrave tithing, and of certain old inclosures; and the commissioners for inclosing Potterspury allotted 23a. 3r. 22p. in lieu of the tithes of Kenton field; but by subsequent exchanges with the Grand Junction company and others, the rectory now consists of about 236 acres of land; in addition to which the rector has the tithes of about 93 a. of land in Cosgrave adjoining Potterspury, and belonging to the duke of Grafton. The rectory house is a handsome residence north-east of the church.
Hugh Revel, by the prior of the hospital of St John of Jerusalem.
Richard Giffard, 1220
William de Westwell, clerk, 11 Apr 1225
Richard de Wigornia, clerk, 5 July 1227
Mast. Robert de Oterington, subdeacon, 1230
John de Kirkeby, clerk, 15 Oct 1265, already noticed under Abington
Thomas de la Lee, 19 Aug 1267. He was also the vicar of Sibertoft.
Henry de Auviters, subdeacon, 17 Mar 1270
Mast Elias ……
Stephen de Suchea, deacon, 25 Nov 1288
William de Gyse, 17 Mar 1291
Mast Thurstan de Hanslap, subdeacon, 11 Apr 1305
Richard de Wotton priest, 18 Dec 1318
Benedict de Wodeford, priest, 21 Aug 1322. He was vicar of Cold Ashby from 1310 to 1312.
John de Clifton, …………. He exchanged for the rectory of Rushden with
William de Brigham, priest, 7 July 1314
John Cole of Newport Pagnel, priest, 31 March 1347
Michael de Sharnbrok, priest, 25 March 1350
John de Hugeley, clerk, 24 Sept 1361. He was rector of Tiffield from 1361 to 1366.
Robert Archer, priest, 21 Oct 1365
Richard Knot …………….
John Godynche, 23 Apr 1374. He exchanged for the rectory of Cranford St Andrew with
Richard de Kempston, priest, 21 Apr 1374
John Rudley, priest, 16 July 1398
William Yewdale ……………….
Henry Drayton, priest, 7 July 1415
Richard Slogter, 11 Oct 1415
Sir Nicholas Doubrygge, chaplain, 27 July 1416
William Wattes, priest, 8 Dec 1421
Edward Littil, priest, 3 Feb 1431
Richard Botyll, priest, 23 Feb 1443
Herbert Baxter, priest, 30 Aug 1441
Alvared Northfolke, priest, 24 Nov 1461
Sir John Newton, priest, 21 July 1470
Sir Thomas Parker, priest, 25 Nov 1479. He was rector of Etton from 1443 to 1481 and of Hardwick 1475.
Robert Hawley ………….. He was rector of Tiffield 1487.
Sir Ralph Boydell, priest, 4 Feb 1524
Mast. Thomas Russell, AM, 13 Feb 1528. He was rector of Tiffield 1526, Dingley 1530 and Holcot from 1530 to 1552.
Thomas Todde, rector of Siresham, presented by the king, and instituted 8 Nov 1549.
Christopher Emerson, rector of Furtho, was inst. 11 Dec 1563, on the presentation of sir Robert (Nicholas) Throgmorton. He retained both benefices till his death and was buried here 5 Jan 1592-3 when he was succeeded by
William Bradshawe BD, who died in 1601 and
John Whalley BD, was presented by sir Arthur Throgmorton, and accounted for the first fruits 4 Feb 1601-2. He died in 1647 at the advanced age of 92 years, but resigned this benefice in favour of his son
John Whalley AM, who was inst. 20 April 1638 on the presentation of the king, by wardship of Francis lord Dacre. He was buried here 26 Mar 1659-60, and was succeeded by
Henry Sills who was buried here 10 Nov 1663 when
George Welsted was presented by William lord Maynard and inst 8 Mar 1663-4. He was bred a physician, and afterward took holy orders, and is transmitted to posterity as an eminent physician and an able divine by a latin inscription in prose, and under it an epigram of eight lines said to have been “composed by the rev William Carpenter, a late worthy rector of Calverton in Buckinghamshire.” He was buried here 12 Sep 1667 and
John Naylor was inst 27 Feb following, on the presentation of lord Maynard. He was buried here 6 June 1690 and was succeeded by
Walrond Cowley, who survived only a year.
John Wildman, of Christ coll. Cambs, ASB being inst 9 Sept 1691, on the presentation of William lord Maynard. He was buried here 6 Jan 1608-9, when
John Mansell, of Clare hall Camb, LLB, rector of Furtho, was presented by the same patron and inst 6 Feb following. He published an assize sermon, preached at Northampton Mar 1693 on Ps 82 v1 and a visitation sermon preached at Northampton Oct 1691 on 1 Tim 1 v 16, 1695 4to. He was buried here 3 Feb 1729-30, at the advanced age of 86 years and
William Thompson, of Chr ch coll Oxf AM was inst on the 9th of the same month, on the presentation of John Battison, gent. (phv) He was buried here 2 Apr 1752 and
Pulter Forester of Peter house Cmb Am 1744 DD 1757 was presented by Charles lord Maynard and inst 23 July 1752. Besides the preferment enumerated in his epitaph, he had at various times the rectories of Knapswell in Cambridgeshire and of Gayhurst and Stoke Goldington in Buckinghamshire, the prebends of Cadington manor in Lincoln, and of Stratford in Salisbury cathedrals and the lectureship of St Mary’s chapel, Park street, near Grosvenor square. The doctor’s library was sold to B White, who published a catalogue of it in 1779. He was buried here 4 Aug 1778 and
Charles Walker, of Magdalen coll Oxf AM was presented by the trustees of viscount Maynard, deceased, and inst 11 Oct following. He also held the rectory of Shillingford in Berkshire. He died at Bath Nov 1809 and
Henry Longueville Mansel of Trin coll Camb AM was inst 7 Feb 1810 on the presentation of his brother John Christopher Mansel esq.
THE REGISTERS in the time of Bridge commenced in 1558; but the earliest entry now extant is in 1691.
THE CHURCH, dedicated to St Peter and St Paul, stands at the west end of the village, and consists of a tower containing five bells, nave, north aisle, and chancel. At the west end of the tower is a good Perpendicular window, but all the other windows have been despoiled of their tracery. At the east end of the chancel are detached portions of a string course with the small nail-head between two hatched mouldings. The tower is 12ft 5 in long by 11ft wide; the nave 54ft 2 in long, by 18ft 6in wide; the aisle 51ft 6in long by 12ft 9in wide; and the chancel 25ft 5in long by 15ft 8in wide. The interior was substantially repaired and the ceiling coved by Dr Forester in 1774. The whole is well paved and pewed. There is a north gallery, and another across the west end, in which is a small organ. The nave is divided from the north aisle by five arches on clustered pillars with plain bell capitals, and connected by a running hatched archivolt moulding. At the west end of the aisle is an octagonal font. The chancel is entered under an open Pointed arch. The upper quatrefoil of the east window is filled with old quarterings, some reversed, and beneath are Moorsom with crest and Mansel impaling Linskill.
Nave I. In a small wooden frame against the east wall of the nave:
Here lies the Body of Henry
Longueville late of this Parish
Esq. Son and Heir of Francis
Longueville Esq.r one of the
Sons of Sr. Henry Longueville
of Wolverton which Francis
married one of the two daugh-
ters of Edward Fortho of Fortho
Esq.r and Co-heirs of Edward
his Son by whom he had this
Son only. Ob.t Octr JJ: 1713.
II. On the south wall is a neat marble tablet. On a lozenge, arms: Az three cross crosslets fitchee between two bendlets O. Knatchbull.
To the Memory of
HARRIET KNATCHBULL, Eldest Daughter of
The Rev.d WADHAM KNATCHBULL L,L,D. Prebendary of DURHAM
and Son of Sir EDWARD KNATCHBULL of KENT, Bart
The accomplishments of this young Lady were,
So truly amiable, that her Relations & Aquaintance
will ever remember her Early Departure
with the greatest Concern.
She died in the 19th year of her Age.
Octr. 27th 1767.
This Monument was erected by the
order of Her disconsolate Mother.
|III. On the north wall a lozenge tablet of white marble surmounted by arms : Ar fretty Az the interlacings each charged with a Bezant, on a canton G a leopard’s head erased at the neck O. Lowndes.
the Remains of
youngest Daughter of
RICHARD LOWNDES Esqr
(of Winslow, Bucks)
Obiit 3rd June 1812,
1. ROBERT THOROLD MANSEL
DIED MARCH 27TH 1821
AGED 4 AND ½ YEARS
2. In Memory
Of Mary Mansel, ye
John Mansel, Gent, she
was buried on April
the 28th Anno
In Memory of Mary Mansell, the
Daughter of Edward
Mansell, Gent. and
Millicent his Wife. She
Departed this life
On ye 29 day of May
In ye Year of our Lord
Aged 22 Years and
about eight months.
In Memory of
Mrs Millicent, wife to Mr
Edward Mansell, Gent. she
Was buried on April the 28th Anno
3. In Memory of
Edward Mansell, Gent.
Who departed this Life,
6th of November
|VIII Against the south wall is a handsome marble monument. On a base with an inscription is raised an inscribed tablet, surmounted by a wreathed pediment with arms: Ar a chevron Vt between three bugle horns S stringed G Forester, impaling, Az in a chief indented O. three mullets pierced G Moore. Crest. On a wreath, a buck trippant Pp.
SACRED to the Memory of
The Rev .d and Worshipful
PULTER FORESTER D.D,
Rector of Cosgrave and
Passenham, Justice of Peace
for this COUNTY,
Arch-deacon of Bucks,
Chancellor of the Diocese of
LINCOLN, and Chaplain in
Ordinary to the KING;
the last person, in whom were
united the Names of the two
Families of Broadfield and
Cottered in the COUNTY of
HERTFORD. He was possessed of
every amiable Virtue of the
social and Christian Life.
The established Church (whose
Temples, especially This and
others near him, he was ever
solicitous to improve and adorn)
lost in him a constant, and steady
Friend; his two Parishes an able,
and vigilant Pastor;
his Country a merciful, active,
and upright Magistrate;
his Acquaintance a generous,
hospitable, and sincere Friend;
The Poor a munificent
and his Wife a tender,
and indulgent Husband.
He supported a long, and painful
Sickness with true Christian
Fortitude; founded on a perfect
Submission to the Will of GOD;
and died at Cosgrove July the 26th
1778, aged 57 years.
He married MARY Daughter of the Honourable, and Rev.d
HENRY MOORE D.D, second Son
of HENRY Earl of DROGHEDA.
She had the Regret to survive
her truly affectionate Husband;
and caused this Monument
to be erected.
MARY, HIS WIFE.
WHO DIED MARCH XXIV.