Go to Atkinson Family Tree at the bottom of the page
Driffield Times 21 October 1882
MARRIAGE OF MISS E. S. BAYLY, OF
On Tuesday, October 17th, an event took place which has been for some time looked forward to with much interest by the in habitants of the Village. On that day the youngest daughter of the Vicar, Miss Eleanor Stuart Bayly, was united in the bonds of holy wedlock with the Rev. Henry James Wilkinson [is John Jepson’s brother], vicar of Kirkstall, near Leeds, and as the parishioners have had occasion to sympathize with their esteemed vicar in affliction, more gladly was the opportunity embraced of testifying their respect at a time of rejoicing. The various inhabitants were represented in the way of decorations, flags and bunting being freely displayed at various points, and an arch of greenery erected at the centre of the village. The Church tower was also surmounted by a flag, and a suitable covering laid along the whole of the churchyard path from the lych-gate to the porch.
Long before the appointed time the churchyard was thronged with spectators, and it was evident that the church would not contain one-fourth of those who were present. The bridegroom was the first to arrive, and shortly a carriage, drawn by two greys, drew up at the lych gate. From this alighted the bride and her father, and proceeded slowly up the long avenue of faces to the church door. Here they were met by the surpliced choir, which, under the conductorship of the Rev. E. Milsom, preceded them to the chancel gates, singing the Hymn, “The voice that breath’d o’er Eve.” The officiant was the Rev. Dr. Gott, vicar Leeds, and his words broke the silence which had fallen upon the assembly to the principal actors in the sacred rites. The stalwart form of the bridegroom appeared great advantage, and the bride, who was arrayed in a white satin and brocade dress, with orange blossom, over which flowed a long tulle bridal veil, presented a figure which, by its grace and loveliness thrilled the hearts of all beholders.
At the conclusion of the civil part of the ceremony the remaining portion was performed at the altar rails and after the blessing Hymn 351 was sung. Dr. Gott then delivered a most impressive address most address, at the end of which the choir left the chancel, and, lining the upper portion of aisle sang Hymn 296, "An endless Alleluia”. The signing the register, &c. having been finished, the bridal party left the chancel and proceeded slowly towards the door, followed by the choir.
During the passage from church the carriage the usual ovation in the shape of showers of rice was presented, and an attempt was made to unyoke the horses and draw the carriage in triumph to the Vicarage, but the occasion of the coachman objecting the attempt was not persisted in. After the wedding breakfast the newly-married couple left for the railway station, and heartily cheered in passing. The choir and churchwardens, with ringers and others concerned in the happy event, were entertained at the Star Inn to dinner, at the expense of the bride; and in the evening the whole of the Church Sunday School had tea the schoolroom. In the village bonfires and races, &c., prevailed till a late hour.
The wedding gifts were numerous and costly, reaching upwards of 100 in number. Amongst the more notable were a splendid marble time-piece, with suitable inscription, and handsome ink and pen tray, presented to the bride by the parishioners of and Butterwick. There was also beautiful little cruet stand from the Sunday school children, besides numerous gifts from various inhabitants. The bridegroom was presented with handsome brass clock and candlesticks from the parishioners of Kirkstall; plated candlesticks from the Sunday school; three large blue China vases from members of toe Girls’ Friendly Society, and claret jug from the scripture class.
Yorkshire Gazzette 01 December 1888
The Rev Henry James Wilkinson, M.A. (Hulmeian Exhibitioner of Brasenose College, Oxford) Vicar of Kirkstall, Yorkshire, has accepted the Rectory of Stockton, near Shifnal, Salop, and will in a few weeks enter upon the duties of the appointment. The living of Kirkstall is worth £300 per annum, with a house. [ Gloucester Echo 18 March 1889 has vacated Kirkstall]
Tamworth Herald 03 October 1903
Obituary.The death took place on Sept. 23, I subsequent upon an operation, of the Rev. Henry James Wilkinson, rector of Stockton (Salop). It will probably be within the recollection of many of our readers that the deceased gentleman was the senior commissioner in connection with the first parochial mission held at Tamworth, in January, 1899. The mission extended over ten days, and during that period unusually large congregations were drawn to the Parish Church. The funeral took place at Stockton on Monday.
Leeds Mercury 13 November 1903
The Rev. James Henry Wilkinson, of Stockton Rectory, Shiffnel, Staffs, formerly curate of Hinksey, Berks, and of Leeds, and Precentor of the Cathedral 1876-9, the Vicar of Kirkstall 1879-89, and since the Rector of Stockton, who died on the 25th September last, aged 54 years has left estate valued at £5,167 gross, with £3,850 in net personally.