The Cottage or Old Dower House

The back of the Dower House in 1998

It has been suggested that this stands on the site of the second house of Edward Furtho which was inherited by his grandson Edward Mansel. Edward Mansel died in 1696 and his widow in 1711. Their surviving children all lived in the north of England, and there seems to be no evidence of who lived in it after this until about 1840, when Mrs. Maria Margaret (Moorsom) Mansel, the widow of the Rector, moved in and lived there for 37 years till her death in 1877. It was then let to a Mr. Horsfall, who did nothing but complain about the deficiencies of the house, and perhaps with good reason, as it seems it rained through the roof of the best bedroom. Mr. Mansell apparently did not consider this at all serious, and their relations became so strained that all communications had to pass through the agent Mr. Fisher who lived at Market Harborough. Mr. Mansel was of course under increasing strain at this time, and was relieved when Mr. Horsfall departed, about the time the estate was sold, and so Mr. Mansel moved in, no doubt after having the roof seen to.

After the death of John C. Mansel in 1895 followed soon after by that of his widow, the next tenant was Mr. F. D. Bull the late owner of the Brewery in Northampton who had sold out to Phipps. Later, Mr. Harry Grant-Thorold lived there till he sold the estate and moved to Cranford Hall near Kettering. Miss Balfour and Miss Wells then bought the Cottage, which they renamed The Old Dower House, for some years now past being lived in by Mr. A. Rickaby.

• Editor's note: Francis Lord Dacre held Cosgrove by right of his wife's inheritance. She was one of the daughters and coheiresses of Sir Arthur Throckmorton of Paulerspury whose Northamptonshire estates were granted to his father, Sir Nicholas Throckmorton by Edward VI in 1551. (see Raleigh and Throckmortons, A.L. Rowse). The later mention, under The Hall, is therefore probably not relevant to that section as his land clearly ties in, by Dacre's sale, with the Priory part of the parish. Mrs D. Warren

On this map of 1767 "The Cottage" is marked in red
Ref: Date Occupant
Census
1841
John Chase
Note: Mary Elliot Chase, Baptised November 1st 1826 therefore the Case family may have lived here since the early 1820s. See Mercury Newspaper advert dated 5th August 1820.
Whellan History of Northamptonshire
1849
Mrs. M. M. Mansell
Census
1851
Maria Mansel
Kelly’s Directory
1854
Mrs. Maria Margaret Mansel
Census
1861
Maria Mansel
Kelly’s Directory
1869
Mrs Mansel
Census
1871
Maria Mansell
Whellan & Co
1874
Mrs. H. L. Mansel
Census
1881
Robert Horsfall
Kelly's Directory
1890
John Christopher Mansel J.P.
Census
1891
John Christopher Mansel
Kelly’s Directory
1894
John Christr. Mansell J.P.
Kelly's Directory
1898
Francis Desvaux Bull
Census
1901
Francis Desvaux Bull
Kelly's Directory
1903
Francis Desvaux Bull
Kelly's Directory
1910
Harry Grant-Thorold J.P.
Census
1911
Harry Grant Thorold
Kelly’s Directory
1914
Harry Grant-Thorold J.P.
Kelly’s Directory
1924
Miss M.A. Balfour & Miss E. Constance Wells
Kelly’s Directory
1928
Miss M.A. Balfour
Kelly’s Directory
1931
Miss M.A. Balfour & Miss E. Constance Wells
Kelly's Directory
1936
Miss M.A. Balfour & Miss E. Constance Wells
Kelly's Directory
1940
Miss M.A. Balfour & Miss E. Constance Wells

Northampton Mercury 
5th August 1820

COSGROVE
(In the Centre of the Duke of Grafton’s Hunt).
To be LETT.
And entered upon immediately.

A house; consisting of three Rooms on the ground Floor, with Kitchen, back Kitchen, and other Offices, four bed Rooms, three Attics, and a Servants’ Room over the back Kitchen; Stable, coach House, kitchen Garden, &c. &c. with or without 18 Acres of pasture Land.
There are fire Grates in most of the Rooms, two kitchen Ranges, and other Fixtures.
For further Particulars, apply to Mr. ABEL, Northampton; or J. C. MANCEL, Esq. Cosgrove, if by Letter, Post paid.


The Cottage / Dower House plan 1843

Survey 1881 - The Cottage/ Dower House

House and other premises in the occupation of R. Horsfall

136 House Garden Yard & Pleasure ground
3
15
109 Cottage Garden & Orchard
1
18
110 Captains Close
3
32
112 Cottage & Garden with Farm yard and buildings
37
A
2
1
22


LOT 24

(Coloured Brown on Plan Inset)

A   Desirable   Small   Country Residence

KNOWN AS

THE COTTAGE," Cosgrove,

together with pretty Flower Garden, Orchard, Kitchen Garden, Stabling, Outbuildings and Cottage,
being Nos. 95, 96 and 98 on Plan, forming an area of about

1a. 1r. 27p.

THE   PICTURESQUE HOUSE

standing on rising ground in a very pleasant Garden, is built of Stone with part Slated, and part Tiled
Roof, and provides the following accommodation—.

ON THE GROUND FLOOR—Entrance Passage, Dining Room, Drawing Room, Study with Casement
Window to Lawn, Kitchen, Scullery, Larder, Pantry, Back Hall, W.C., Cellar and outside W.C.

ON THE FIRST FLOOR—- Five Bedrooms, Lobby, fitted Bath Room (h. & c). W.C.

ON THE TOP FLOOR—--- Two Attic Bedrooms.

Acetylene Gas.     Alain Drainage.

The Stabling and Outbuildings

include Brick Built and Slated Harness Room, Coach House, Gas House, Three Stalls, Loose Box,
Cow House for three, Stone Built Old Cottage of Two Upper and Two Lower Rooms used as Store,
Barn, Lean-to Open Shed.

The Gardens

consist of nice Lawn with Gravelled Path and Herbaceous Border, sheltered by a high Hedge, productive
Kitchen Garden and Orchard.

Stone-built and Slated Cottage of Four Rooms

In addition to a Well under pump, Water is supplied by the owner of Lot 1 at a charge of £10 per annum
who shall have the right of entry to this lot for the purpose of repairing and maintaining the supply.

Tithe Free.

This lot is in hand and sold with possession.